qemu-devel

Re: FreeBSD build regressions

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: FreeBSD build regressions
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:28:42 -0700

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:14 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 at 16:08, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> FreeBSD builds packages on the oldest supported version in the stable branch. Due to forward compatibility, that means all supported versions of FreeBSD 12.x will work. Recently, FreeBSD 12.1 became unsupported, so the build machines clicked forward to 12.2. Since there's no 'forward compatibility' guarantees, this problem was hit. While you can run binaries compiled on old versions of the software on new versions of the system, you can't necessarily do the inverse because new symbols are introduced (in this case close_range).

It makes perfect sense that you don't want to support older
versions forever and that at some point newer packages aren't
valid on old systems, but I don't understand why an
older 12.1 system then says "but I'm going to go ahead and
install these won't-work packages anyway" rather than
"oh dear, I'm out of support, there are no newer packages
available, I will install whatever the last archived version
of the package for my OS version is" (or "I will install nothing").
I'm surprised this doesn't break a lot of real-world users...

That's a reasonable expectation. I'd kinda expected that to be the default, but it looks like it might not be. I'll see if I can get the freebsd vm updated to use something safer and/or work with the pkg folks to get it to do the safe thing here if there's no easy way to do this with command line / config settings. I think the issue is that we set IGNORE_OSVERSION which is needed for the case when we were running 12.0 packages on 12.1, but it's harmful for this case. This highlights, I think, a rough edge in pkg.

Short term, I'll bump things up to 12.2 which will take care of the immediate issue. I should have a patch by later in the day.... I may also have a patch to detect the mismatch directly and report it until this issue can be resolved in FreeBSD's pkg.

Warner