qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:43:11 +0100

On 2/22/21 6:35 AM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 2/21/21 1:24 AM, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>>   target/arm: move psci.c into tcg/softmmu/
>
> Terminology: the opposite of user-only is not "softmmu" but "system".
>
> One glorious day in the far future user-only will, as an option, use softmmu.
> It will fix all sorts of problems with alignment faults and host/guest virtual
> address space mismatch.
>

> r~

Hi Richard,

first thanks for all the useful pointers in the series.

Regarding terminology, I think the mismatch is throughout the code right?

So many of the existing "softmmu" files and directories should actually be
called "system",
or "sysemu" to match include/sysemu right?

To me these distinctions are a bit unclear.
Maybe it would be good to have clear documentation about this in devel/ to use
as a reference and end-goal,

and then we could do a pass of the whole code to fix the discrepancies in the
use of the terms?

Thanks,

Claudio