qemu-devel

Re: Interactive launch over QMP socket?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Interactive launch over QMP socket?
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:36:25 +0000

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:00:36AM -0600, Connor Kuehl wrote:
> On 2/22/21 6:18 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> >
> > ... so this doesn't actually seem to need to be done in QMP on the fly.
> > It can be provided on the CLI, which seems to be possible wth the args
> > shown earlier.
> >

> > It seems like this is all doable already unless I'm missing something.
>
> That's correct; however, I would like to make it possible for the entirety
> of it to happen on the fly, ultimately rendering the CLI args optional.

There is a long term goal to make entire of QEMU CLI optional, such that
it only contains the QMP config, and then do every thing related to VM
setup as QMP commands. So if current CLI is functionally sufficient,
then eventually, the same will be doable exclusively at runtime. We
don't have a firm ETA for this though.

Regards,
Daniel