qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v12 27/65] target/arm: split a15 cpu model and 32bit class func

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [RFC v12 27/65] target/arm: split a15 cpu model and 32bit class functions to cpu32.c
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:10:28 +0100

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 at 10:05, Claudio Fontana <cfontana@suse.de> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On 4/8/21 12:36 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 11:23, Claudio Fontana <cfontana@suse.de> wrote:
> >> Mainly for this code here a question from my side: is the current code
> >> actually already "wrong"?
> >>
> >> I mean, we unconditionally set the aarch64-capable cpu classes to all use
> >> aarch64_gdb_arch_name and gdbstub64,
> >> but what about an aarch64-capable cpu running in 32bit mode?
> >
> > This is somewhere between a bug and a missing feature. The 'bug' part is
> > that for running a guest on AArch64 KVM with -cpu aarch64=off' (ie a
> > 32-bit guest) we should be presenting an aarch32 gdb stub, and we don't.
>
> Isn't this "easily" solvable? Probably I am missing something obvious..

Fairly, yes. That's why I classify it as "bug". It's just nobody's
written the patch.

> I mean we could dispatch to the one or to the other according to ->is_aa64()?

No, because is_aa64() is the "at runtime, is the CPU currently 32-bit
or 64 bit?" check. For gdbstub functions, because gdb cannot handle
runtime switching, the check should be a static one of the "what kind
of CPU is this?" type. (This is effectively what we do today, except
that for the special case of "aarch64=off" we make the wrong choice.)

thanks
-- PMM