qemu-devel

Re: Live migration using a specified networking adapter

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: Live migration using a specified networking adapter
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 20:06:23 +0100

* Jing-Wei Su (jwsu1986@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello experts,
>

> I have a network topology like this diagram.
>
> When start live migration moving a VM from Host A to B,
>
> the migration process uses either 10GbE (10.0.0.1) or 1 GbE (10.0.0.2),
>
> but the user cannot specify the source NIC by current migrate command.
>

> To solve the problem, my rough idea is to add a source ipv4:port argument,
>
> the migration command seems like
>
> ```
>
> migrate -b tcp:10.0.0.1:4444 -d tcp:10.0.0.3:4444.

I'm not sure what the OS lets us do, but if it lets us pick the IP and
port I think that would work; I don't think you need another tcp:
since we already know which protocol we're using.

> ```
>
> Is it an available solution? Or, is there any concern and sugesstion?
>
> Besides the idea, is there any good way to this issue?

It's unusual; I don't think I've seen anyone ask for it before.
I assume there's a wayto get the host network stack to prefer
the 10GbE interface.
Or to use separate subnets; rememember that each interface
can have multiple IP addresses.

Dave