qemu-devel

Re: Guest Agent issue with 'guest-get-osinfo' command on Windows

From: Konstantin Kostiuk
Subject: Re: Guest Agent issue with 'guest-get-osinfo' command on Windows
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:30:19 +0300

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 6:59 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 06:45:08PM +0300, Konstantin Kostiuk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I reviewed glib, libguestfs, and libosinfo tools. All tools read the registry
> to get information about Windows but read different registry values. All
> information is returned in a localized form.
> Related key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> We can get 'pretty-name' from 'ProductName' value (all tools use it).
> About 'version' there is three variant:
> 1. Set 'version' equals to 'kernel-version'. libguestfs and libosinfo have this
> behavior.
> 2. Read 'version' from 'ReleaseId' value. glib has this behavior. In the case
> of Windows Server 2022, 'ReleaseId' equals 2009.
> 3. Read 'version' from 'DisplayVersion' value. In the case of Windows Server
> 2022, 'DisplayVersion' equals 21H2.

The important point is, however you get it, return the information as
a libosinfo short value ("win2k22" in this case).

To get this string libguestfs just use a set of conditions. Return "win2k22" if Windows type is 'server'
and ProductName contains 2022.

But as I know guest agent does not returns short name.

> What do you think about this solution instead of using a conversion matrix?
> What version we should use in this case?

If you need to cover old and new versions of Windows then there's no
good way.  You just need lots of conditionals and to constantly evolve
the code as new versions come out.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW