qemu-devel

Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:17:01 +0200

On Fri, Sep 17 2021, David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into
> whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does,
> which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional
> component of the build.
>
> I've added the information to our wiki at:
>       https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu

Thank you for doing that!

> TBH, the coverage is not as good as I expected.  Linux, macOS and
> Windows are pretty much ok, with the exception of Linux on Sparc.
> There are a lot of gaps in *BSD support, however.

Yes :(

Do we actually have an idea what we would require? I'm surprised that
there are so many targets without host tools or without std support (but
maybe they are only missing small things.)

> I've included some notes on where the information comes from, and some
> uncertainties in there.
>
> I've made an effort to get the information correct, but double
> checking would be appreciated.

I did not spot any errors on a quick cross check, but I'm not really
sure about what the BSDs support.