qemu-devel

Re: high cpu usage in idle state

From: Ali Vatankhah
Subject: Re: high cpu usage in idle state
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:41:57 +0430

Hi Philippe, Thank for your email

I investigated your advice,

first checked the CPU's programmer's reference manual and it has wait for interrupt instruction.

then to check what instructions are executing I run this command:

qemu-system-ppc64 -nographic -M ppce500 -cpu e5500 -kernel uImage -singlestep -d in_asm -D target_asm.log

Obviously this results in a Kernel panic, but the point is that after panic there is no guest
 instruction running as there is no more log in the file but still CPU usage is 100.

also run this command to check generated host assembly code:

qemu-system-ppc64 -nographic -M ppce500 -cpu e5500 -kernel uImage -singlestep -d out_asm -D host_asm.log

and the result was the same, after Kernel panic there are no more instructions to run
(though there are some nop instructions in tb slow paths + alignment section at
the end of some TBs but I think it's not relevant).

in another test I run the complete working command with log options and after login kill all
 services except init:

qemu-system-ppc64 -nographic -m 256 -M ppce500 -cpu e5500 -kernel uImage -initrd rootfs.ext2.gz
         -append 'root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=150000' -singlestep -d out_asm -D  host_asm.log

it logs in the file once in a while but still CPU usage is 100% constantly.

Thanks. Regards