qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 18/18] qapi: move RTC_CHANGE to the target schema

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 18/18] qapi: move RTC_CHANGE to the target schema
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 15:37:27 +0200

On 23/09/21 15:14, Peter Maydell wrote:

It also means that now rtc devices that emit this event need to
change in meson.build from softmmu_ss to specific_ss, because the
qapi_event_send_rtc_change() prototype is in the generated
qapi/qapi-events-misc-target.h header, and that header uses
TARGET_* defines which are poisoned for softmmu compiles.
So instead of being able to build the RTC device once for
all targets, we need to build it over and over again for
each target.

Could we reconsider this change? It seems to me to be adding
complexity and build time and I don't really see the advantage
that compensates for that.

I agree, RTC_CHANGE is part of the management API. If only some devices implement it, that's only laziness and not an intrinsic property of the event. In some sense, lack of support for RTC_CHANGE is an incomplete transition and this patch is making it harder to complete it.

Paolo