qemu-devel

Rust in Qemu BoF followup 2: Rust toolchain availability

From: David Gibson
Subject: Rust in Qemu BoF followup 2: Rust toolchain availability
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:59:42 +1000

Hi again all,

I've now done.. or at least started... the second part of my followup
from the KVM Forum BoF on Rust in Qemu.

I've extended the page at https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu with
information on Rust toolchain availability.  However, I found I had a
lot more open questions on this one, so there are quite a lot of gaps.

In particular:
 * I haven't so far figured out how to definitively check package
   information for RHEL & SLES (they're not covered by repology, and
   RHEL module structure confuses me, even as a RedHatter)
 * I'm not at all sure what criteria to use to consider something as
   having "good enough" rustup support, so that information is all
   blank so far
 * I've taken a bit of a stab in the dark about what Rust version is
   recent enough for our purposes (1.31.0).  I strongly suspect we're
   going to want to move that to something more recent, but I don't
   know what, which will mean revising a bunch of stuff
 * I'm not really convinced that the way I've formatted it is
    particularly good, but I haven't though of a better alternative.

Contributions to improving this would be most welcomed.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson