qemu-devel

Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 15:28:53 +0100

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 3:08 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> QEMU downloads are currently hosted on qemu.org's Apache web server.
> Paolo and I were discussing ways to reduce qemu.org network traffic to
> save money and eventually turn off the qemu.org server since there is no
> full-time sysadmin for it. I'd like to discuss moving QEMU downloads to
> GitLab Releases.

Daniel Berrange posted this in another discussion:

"gitlab releases have a per-file size limit that is somewhere on the
order of 10 MB IIRC. Our release tarballs are 100+ MB, so I don't
believe that's going to be viable.

The gitlab package registry doesn't directly support plain file
downloads afaik, and is also size limited to 50 MB per package

I'd love to find a good solution for large release artifact hosting,
since I need a better solution for virt-viewer windows MSI releases
wich are similarly large to QEMUs. For that I'm using pagure.io
provided by Fedora, but I don't have confidence in that service
surviving long term."

So it looks like GitLab Releases won't work for QEMU :(.

Stefan