qemu-devel

Strange qemu6 regression cauing disabled usb controller.

From: Remy Noel
Subject: Strange qemu6 regression cauing disabled usb controller.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 15:48:44 +0200

Hello,

I'm encountering a nagging issue with usbredir and a windows guest, but
although I did pinpoint the commit that caused the issue, I have a hard time
understanding it.

The issue occurs when a two usbredir devices are added to a guest windows vm.
When the second device is added, the UHCI usb controller is disabled by windows
with an error code 43 (can be seen with in the usb adapters section of the
device manager).

The commit causing the issue (everything works well when reverting it) is
7bed89958bfbf40df9ca681cefbdca63abdde39d : device_core: use drain_call_rcu in
in qmp_device_add.

I narrowed the problem to the unlock of the iothread: the minimum
drain_call_rcu code that still reproduce the issue is:

void drain_call_rcu(void)
{
    bool locked = qemu_mutex_iothread_locked();
    if (locked) {
        qemu_mutex_unlock_iothread();
    }
    usleep(50000); // time spent draining the rcu on a few slow cases.

    if (locked) {
        qemu_mutex_lock_iothread();
    }
}

The issue can be reproduced from a basic windows home instalation and the
following qemu command line:

qemu-system-x86_64 -M pc -cpu host,hv_time,hv_synic,hv_stimer,hv_vpindex -enable-kvm
-m 4096 -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci -qmp
tcp:127.0.0.1:4444,server=on,wait=off,ipv4 -drive <disk-parameters> -snapshot

Note that the hv parameters are needed to trigger the issue I do not know why.

Two usbredir devices are then added to the vm (qmp client script added at the
end of the mail) in order to trigger the issue.

The second device can be added right after or much later than the first and the
bug still triggers.

I tried to find what was able to take avantage of the free iothread lock, but
the only thing I got so far is that the iothread lock is not taken during the
first drain (from the first device add), but is taken many times during the
second drain by physmem's IOs (from kvm-accel, but at this point, I'm a bit
lost).

I'm looking for pointers as to what could trigger the issue in order to narrow
it down, as, so far, I do not understand exactly what causes the regression.
I am unsure of how this would even transcribe in a linux vm so i didn't try to
reproduce the issue with one.

Below is the reproduction script (python):

import asyncio
import json
import socket
import sys
import time

char1 = {
    "execute": "chardev-add",
    "arguments": {
        "id": "r-usb0",
        "backend": {
            "type": "socket",
            "data": {
                "nodelay": True,
                "addr": {
                    "type": "inet",
                    "data": {
                        "host": "::",
                        "port": "10100"
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
dev1 = {
    "execute": "device_add",
    "arguments": {
        "driver": "usb-redir",
        "id": "r-usb0",
        "chardev": "r-usb0",
        "bus": "uhci.0"
    }
}
char2 = {
    "execute": "chardev-add",
    "arguments": {
        "id": "r-usb1",
        "backend": {
            "type": "socket",
            "data": {
                "nodelay": True,
                "addr": {
                    "type": "inet",
                    "data": {
                        "host": "::",
                        "port": "10101"
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
dev2 = {
    "execute": "device_add",
    "arguments": {
        "driver": "usb-redir",
        "id": "r-usb1",
        "chardev": "r-usb1",
        "bus": "uhci.0"
    }
}

cond = None
ids = {}

async def pull_answers(reader):
    while True:
        data = await reader.read(1024)
        if not data:
            sys.exit(0)
        data = data.decode('ascii')
        while data:
            try:
                msg, remain = json.JSONDecoder().raw_decode(data)
            except ValueError as vae:
                break
            if not msg:
                break
            msg_id = msg.get('id')
            if msg_id:
                async with cond:
                    ids[msg_id] = msg
                    cond.notify_all()
            else:
                print("QMP:", msg)
            data = data[remain:]

async def wait_answer(async_msg_id):
    async with cond:
        msg_id = await async_msg_id
        await cond.wait_for(lambda : msg_id in ids)
        return ids[msg_id]

ID = 0

async def send_message(writer, obj):
    global ID
    obj['id'] = ID
    ID += 1
    writer.write(json.dumps(obj).encode())
    await writer.drain()
    return obj['id']

async def main():
    global cond
    cond = asyncio.Condition()
    with socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM) as sock:
        sock.connect(('127.0.0.1', 4444))
        reader, writer = await asyncio.open_connection(sock=sock)
        waiter = asyncio.create_task(pull_answers(reader))
        await send_message(writer, {'execute': 'qmp_capabilities'})
        sender = asyncio.create_task(send_message(writer, char1))
        resp = await wait_answer(sender)
        sender = asyncio.create_task(send_message(writer, dev1))
        resp = await wait_answer(sender)
        time.sleep(.01)
        sender = send_message(writer, char2)
        resp = await wait_answer(sender)