qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v2 02/10] Drop unused static function return values

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 02/10] Drop unused static function return values
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:47:29 +0100

On Wed, Aug 03, 2022 at 01:25:34PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 at 12:44, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Inconsistent return value checking is designed-in behaviour for
> > QEMU's current Error handling coding pattern with error_abort/fatal.
>
> Yes; I habitually mark as false-positive Coverity reports about
> missing error checks where it has not noticed that the error
> handling is done via the errp pointer.

Presumably the advantage of having a qemu-specific static analyser is
it'll be able to ignore certain cases, eg. spotting if error_abort is
a parameter and allowing (requiring even?) the return value to be
ignored.

Coverity allows custom models too, but obviously that's all
proprietary software.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW