qemu-devel

Re: VGA hardware cursor query

From: Elliot Nunn
Subject: Re: VGA hardware cursor query
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 19:47:19 +0800

>> I want to give Mac OS 9 clients access to hardware cursor support, to improve
>> responsiveness in absolute-cursor mode.
>> Would it be acceptable to add a hardware cursor interface to the VGA device?
>> And if so, can anyone advise on an appropriate register layout?
>> This is an example of such a patch. Because it alters the Bochs VBE interface
>> it is ONLY an example, NOT fit for acceptance. I have omitted the changes to
>> the binary driver qemu_vga.ndrv.
>> Kind regards,
>> Elliot Nunn
> Nice work! Have you been in contact with the Bochs developers to see what
> their thoughts are to your proposed changes? Generally QEMU prefers to
> implement documented specifications, so this would be the best route to go.

Thanks! I don't think it would be appropriate to update the Bochs standard with
a feature that they don't use. And on reflection, perhaps the
compatibility-oriented VGA device is big enough already.

My plan is to write a Mac OS 9/X "ndrv" targeting virtio-gpu. All going this
well, this might become the default mac99 GPU until ati-vga is ready.

But virtio-gpu is not compiled into qemu-system-ppc by default. What is the
difference between CONFIG_VIRTIO_(GPU|PCI|VGA)? And is
configs/devices/ppc-softmmu/default.mak the correct place to declare them?