qemu-devel

Migration tests are very slow in the CI

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Migration tests are very slow in the CI
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 13:57:17 +0200

 Hi!

Seems like we're getting more timeouts in the CI pipelines since commit 2649a72555e ("Allow test to run without uffd") enabled the migration tests in more scenarios.

For example:

 https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/2821578332#L49

You can see that the migration-test ran for more than 20 minutes for each target (x86 and aarch64)! I think that's way too much by default.

I had a check whether there is one subtest taking a lot of time, but it rather seems like each of the migration test is taking 40 to 50 seconds in the CI:

 https://gitlab.com/thuth/qemu/-/jobs/2825365836#L44

Given the fact that we're running more than 30 migration tests, this quickly sums up to 20 minutes and more.

Could we maybe focus on running only the most important migration tests in quick mode, and only run the full suite under an "if (g_test_slow())" statement?

 Thomas