qemu-devel

Re: [BUG] cxl can not create region

From: Jonathan Cameron
Subject: Re: [BUG] cxl can not create region
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:08:25 +0100

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 21:07:06 +0800
Bobo WL <lmw.bobo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 8:37 PM Jonathan Cameron
> <Jonathan.Cameron@huawei.com> wrote:
> >
> > Probably not related to your problem, but there is a disconnect in QEMU /
> > kernel assumptionsaround the presence of an HDM decoder when a HB only
> > has a single root port. Spec allows it to be provided or not as an
> > implementation choice.
> > Kernel assumes it isn't provide. Qemu assumes it is.
> >
> > The temporary solution is to throw in a second root port on the HB and not
> > connect anything to it.  Longer term I may special case this so that the
> > particular
> > decoder defaults to pass through settings in QEMU if there is only one root
> > port.
> >

> You are right! After adding an extra HB in qemu, I can create a x1
> region successfully.
> But have some errors in Nvdimm:
>
> [   74.925838] Unknown online node for memory at 0x10000000000, assuming node > 0
> [   74.925846] Unknown target node for memory at 0x10000000000, assuming node > 0
> [   74.927470] nd_region region0: nmem0: is disabled, failing probe

Ah. I've seen this one, but not chased it down yet.  Was on my todo list to
chase
down. Once I reach this state I can verify the HDM Decode is correct which is
what
I've been using to test (Which wasn't true until earlier this week).
I'm currently testing via devmem, more for historical reasons than because it
makes
that much sense anymore.