qemu-devel

Using QEMU for VRChat

From: danko babro
Subject: Using QEMU for VRChat
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:06:59 +0200

Dear QEMU dev team,
Recently a game called VRChat got a security update, implementing Easy Anti Cheat into their game (pretty much spyware that logs everything happening on the users PC) which made me want to install their game on a virtual machine.

The problem now is, that the anti cheat detects if the user is playing on a virtual machine, but in the official documentation by their dev team there is a workaround for that, specifically for QEMU, that can be found here:

https://docs.vrchat.com/docs/using-vrchat-in-a-virtual-machine

I simply cant understand what that code (on the given website) does. Does it open up a backdoor for the anti cheat to access my real pc?

Is QEMU in general a good solution for when it comes to protecting my actual PC from threats like these, or any other sorts of viruses for example, since it uses a kernel based VM.

All the best,
David