qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 2/3] tests/avocado: add timeout to the aspeed tests

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [PULL 2/3] tests/avocado: add timeout to the aspeed tests
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:31:37 +0100

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 at 13:26, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On some systems the test can hang. At least defining a timeout stops
>> it from hanging forever.
>
> Aha. Yeah, I've seen this test hang forever sometimes.
>
> Is there some place (in the superclass??) that we can put a
> default timeout that applies to *all* avocado tests, so we
> don't have the risk of forgetting it in a particular test?

It's a bit muddy. Most tests are sub-classed on LinuxTest which does
define a default timeout:

  class LinuxTest(LinuxSSHMixIn, QemuSystemTest):
      """Facilitates having a cloud-image Linux based available.

      For tests that indent to interact with guests, this is a better choice
      to start with than the more vanilla `QemuSystemTest` class.
      """

      timeout = 900
      distro = None
      username = 'root'
      password = 'password'
      smp = '2'
      memory = '1024'

However the aspeed tests are directly derived from QemuSystemTest.
Perhaps we should just move the timeout down to that or maybe
QemuBaseTest?

--
Alex Bennée