qemu-devel

Python test QMP Server implementation / version reply

From: John Snow
Subject: Python test QMP Server implementation / version reply
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:37:12 -0400

Hi Eric:

Once upon a time I mentioned writing a QMP server implementation in Python. Now that the dust of the fork has (mostly) settled, I've rebased and uploaded that WIP here:

https://gitlab.com/jsnow/python-qemu-qmp/-/commits/create_server/

Tracking issue: https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/python-qemu-qmp/-/issues/2

It's still in prototype shape, but mostly works (Except the OOB support ...!). I wanted to ask again what you thought about what the version reply ought to be for this test appliance.

I assume that it will be most helpful if the programmer can set their own version reply, but it should likely have a default that indicates that it's the qemu.qmp test server and what version it is. I want to ensure that the reply is aligned with the QMP spec, but the spec is a little fuzzy on what the requirements for the version reply are. (I can't find our previous discussion on the topic right now, but I know it was discussed.)

My intended use case for this appliance is for unit testing the QMP library itself without relying on QEMU, but it may have other uses for testing other things, too.

Thanks,
--js