qemu-devel

Re: [GSoC 2023] Introducing Myself

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2023] Introducing Myself
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 17:14:15 +0000

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 07:17:46PM +0530, Ayush Singh wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am Ayush Singh, a 3rd-year university student from the Indian Institute of
>> Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad, India. This email is just to
>>
>> I participated and successfully completed my GSoC 2022 Project under
>> Tianocore
>> Organization in Rust, so I am pretty experienced in Rust Language. I am also
>> fairly proficient in reading and working with C, although not to the same
>> degree as Rust.
>>
>> I use Qemu often for testing and thus would like to contribute to Qemu as a
>> part of GSoC 2023. I have narrowed down the projects to:
>>
>> 1.  Rust bindings for libnbd:
>> https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2023#
>> Rust_bindings_for_libnbd
>> 2.  RDP server: https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2023#RDP_server
>>
>> I would just like to confirm if both of the above projects are up for grabs
>> in
>> the upcoming GSoC 2023, and if there are any specific requirements/tasks to
>> complete to apply for either of the projects.
>
> We do have another candidate.  I'm not sure what happens in these
> situations .. Erik?

Project allocations happen through the GSoC process so everyone should
apply and then you interview the prospective candidates and choose the
best one.

> Rich.
>
>> Finally, what is the preferred way of discussions in Qemu community? I did
>> see
>> an IRC channel as well as qemu-discuss mailing list.

For realtime questions (keeping in mind TZ's and working hours) IRC is
the best way. You can connect via matrix as described here:

  https://www.qemu.org/support/

as not everyone has access to a persistent IRC bouncer. Otherwise deeper
technical questions are best handled on qemu-devel where the thread can
be followed by the whole community.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro