qemu-devel

Re: dropping 32-bit host support

From: Andrew Randrianasulu
Subject: Re: dropping 32-bit host support
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:05:04 +0300

чт, 16 мар. 2023 г., 13:01 Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com>:
Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> writes:

[...]

> The problem is really that we don't have unlimited resources in the
> QEMU project. Currently we're heavily struggling with the load in the
> CI, but also pure man power is always very scarce. So at one point in
> time, you have to decide to say good bye to some old and hardly used
> features - at least to stop testing and actively supporting it. If you
> want to continue testing and fixing bugs for such host systems, that's
> fine, of course, but don't expect the QEMU developers to do that job
> in the future.

This.

We're out of free lunch.  We're glad you enjoyed it while it lasted.

If you want more lunch, you need to join the kitchen.  Here are a few
things we need to keep a host or target supported:

* Competent maintainer(s) to relieve the ones who have maintained this
  for you so far

* CI runners to conserve scarce CI minutes (or the money to buy more)

* Trustworthy system administrator(s) to set them up and keep them
  running.

* Four - different developer culture, like, a bit fewer commits to run CI with ? :)