qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/31] various fixes (testing, plugins, gitdm)

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/31] various fixes (testing, plugins, gitdm)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:47:58 +0000

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:15:19PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 01:42:46PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 at 11:46, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > The following changes since commit
> > > 74c581b6452394e591f13beba9fea2ec0688e2f5:
> > >
> > >   Merge tag 'trivial-branch-for-8.0-pull-request' of
> > > https://gitlab.com/laurent_vivier/qemu into staging (2023-03-17 14:22:01
> > > +0000)
> > >
> > > are available in the Git repository at:
> > >
> > >   https://gitlab.com/stsquad/qemu.git tags/pull-for-8.0-170323-4
> > >
> > > for you to fetch changes up to 4f2c431acd43d0aa505494229d05fa343762f272:
> > >
> > >   qtests: avoid printing comments before g_test_init() (2023-03-17
> > >   17:50:19 +0000)
> > >
> > > You can see my CI run on the branch here:
> > >
> > >   https://gitlab.com/stsquad/qemu/-/pipelines/810271620
> > >
> > > The failures:
> > >
> > >   FreeBSD's time out on a migration test
> > >   Centos8 Stream because my private runner needs more disk space

> > > Misc fixes for 8.0 (testing, plugins, gitdm)
> > >
> > >   - update Alpine image used for testing images
> > >   - include libslirp in custom runner build env
> > >   - update gitlab-runner recipe for CentOS
> > >   - update docker calls for better caching behaviour
> > >   - document some plugin callbacks
> > >   - don't use tags to define drives for lkft baseline tests
> > >   - fix missing clear of plugin_mem_cbs
> > >   - fix iotests to report individual results
> > >   - update the gitdm metadata for contributors
> > >   - avoid printing comments before g_test_init()

snip

> > The iotests also don't seem to pass on the OpenBSD VM after this;
> > which test fails varies from run to run but the common factor
> > is a complaint about running out of disk space:
>
> This must be caused by the change in the way we register the
> iotests with meson, as I don't see any other interesting changes
> in this series.

snip

> So the change in parallelism is that we can potentially run the
> block I/O tests in parallel with unit tests. Maybe parallel with
> avocado tests too, I'm not sure ?

So the increased parallelism was the trigger, but the root cause is
in the VM. The openbsd image, despite being 20 GB in size, only
has 3.5 GB available for /home. The rest is wasted on assignments
to other partitions we're not even using :-( I've proposed a patch
to create a saner partitioning scheme

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2023-03/msg05613.html

I could reproduce the ENOSPC easily myself, and after applying this
series above, the ENOSPC unsurprisingly goes away.

With regards,
Daniel