qemu-discuss

Minimizing qemu causes it to slow down

From: Asad Ali
Subject: Minimizing qemu causes it to slow down
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 23:07:40 -0800

I am a novice using qemu to run LUbuntu in a Mac osx host. I used this guide
https://graspingtech.com/ubuntu-desktop-18.04-virtual-machine-macos-qemu/

Using this I can run the LUbuntu VM. However, if I minimize the qemu window or simply not have it as the active window, the vm slows down to a halt. Is there some way to prevent this?

Signs of slowing down:
1. ssh into the vm from the mac osx host takes a long time.
2. A python script running in the vm monitoring time deltas shows huge deltas once the "slowdown" kicks in.

Any help would be very very very appreciated!
Asad