qemu-discuss

how can I attach a disk to a virtual machine?

From: ckim
Subject: how can I attach a disk to a virtual machine?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:02:41 +0900

Hello, qemu experts,

What is the method of attaching disk image to a virtual machine? I want to attach disk image to the virtual machine,

and it would be best if I can make it seem like a disk partition /dev/sda1, or like a disk(/dev/sda) with a couple of partitions(/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2,..)

I made disk image like this.

qemu-img create myimage.img 10G

and I ran qemu with this command.

qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a72 -kernel ${LINUX_DIR}/arch/arm64/boot/Image -initrd initramfs.cpio.gz --append "root=/dev/ram init=/init nokaslr" -m 2048M -nographic -drive if=none,file=myimage.img,id=disk1 -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk1

In the initrd image(before cpio’ed and compresed to initramfs.cpio.gz above), I made device files like this.

mkdir -p dev

sudo mknod dev/console c 5 1

sudo mknod dev/ram b 1 0

and the init script contains below lines.

#!/bin/sh

echo "### INIT SCRIPT ###"

mkdir /proc /sys /tmp

mount -t proc none /proc

mount -t sysfs none /sys

mount -t tmpfs none /tmp

echo -e "\nThis boot took $(cut -d' ' -f1 /proc/uptime) seconds\n"

exec /bin/sh

but after linux boots and in the bash shell, I don’t know how to use the disk1. I checked the disk image document, but it describes all the various types but not how to use it inside linux.

How can I use disk1 above? A point to a kind document will also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Chan Kim