qemu-discuss

Re: new 2 Qemu,

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: new 2 Qemu,
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:08:38 +0100

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 18:29, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU
<stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:
> 2) I have installed a virtual machine
>
> First by defining an image
>
>    stephanos@stephanos-Inspiron-N5030:~/Downloads$ qemu-img create image.img
> 200M
>
>    Formatting 'image.img', fmt=raw size=209715200qemu-system-i386 -hda
> image.img -cdrom

>     stephanos@stephanos-Inspiron-N5030:~/Downloads$ qemu-system-i386 -hda
> image.img -cdrom FD12CD.iso -m 16M -boot order=dc
>

> It worked. I used the VM.  Lovely.  I shut it down.

> 4) But I cannot find the command to start this VM again. Nor can I find the
> name of the VM.

QEMU itself is not a "virtual machine manager". (By that term I mean
something that will let you name VMs, that can optionally start them
when you boot your host machine, that lets you monitor their status,
start them and stop them with a GUI or command line program, allows
their configuration to be saved and edited and so on.)

QEMU is just the low-level program that will run one emulated machine
for you. If you want to start a machine using the same disk image and
so on that you used the first time around, just run the same qemu-system-i386
command you list above.

If you want something that *is* more like a "virtual machine manager",
you might want to have a look at 'libvirt'. That will provide all the
management-of-VM functions; when you tell it to start a VM, it runs
a suitable QEMU command behind the scenes.

thanks
-- PMM