qemu-discuss

Re: QEMU boot kernel for ppc e300c3 problem

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: QEMU boot kernel for ppc e300c3 problem
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:44:06 +0200

On 06/09/2021 09.40, Ali Vatankhah wrote:
Thank you Thomas for your reply.
 > You definitly need to select the right CPU type, too. So for your case,
 > you'd need to add the "-cpu e300c3" command line switch
 Also added this option but nothing changed and the command does not print anything.
 > But the CPU is only a part of the hardware, you also need to select a
 > supported board with the "-M" command line parameter
 How can I add a machine to Qemu for this CPU? I have a real MPC8308 board and am really interested in contributing to Qemu. and another question, is it required to specify a machine type? I built a kernel for Powerpc g4 (7400) with the same Yocto (standard qemuppc machine) and Qemu runs the kernel without specifying cpu or machine, although Qemu supports PowerPC 7400 (g4) and a machine that uses this CPU (mac99):
qemu-system-ppc -kernel vmlinux -nographic

If you don't specify a machine type, QEMU uses a default machine. Run with "-M help" and look for the word "default" in the output. For qemu-system-ppc, it's the g3beige machine, which is likely compatible enough with the kernel that you've built.

 Thomas