qemu-discuss

qcow2 perfomance: read-only IO on the guest generates high write IO on t

From: Christopher Pereira
Subject: qcow2 perfomance: read-only IO on the guest generates high write IO on the host
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 11:48:06 +0200

Hi,

I'm *reading* a directory with 5.000.000 files (2,4 GB) inside a guest
using "find | grep -c".

On the host, virt-top reports high *write* IO (40 MB/s !) during over 1 hour.

I later repeated the read-only operation inside the guest and no
additional data was written on the host. The operation took only some
seconds.

I believe QEMU was creating some kind of cache or metadata map (?) the first
time I accessed the inodes in the guest.

But I wonder why the cache or metadata map wasn't available the first
time and why QEMU had to re-create it?

The VM has "compressed base <- snap 1" and base was converted without
metadata=prealloc.

Is it because the base was created using convert without metadata=prealloc so the metadata map got lost?

I will be happy to gain some insights of what's going on under the hood.

Additional info:

* Guest fs is xfs.
* (I believe the snapshot didn't significantly increase in size, but I
would need to double check)
* This is a production host with old QEMU emulator version 2.3.0
(qemu-kvm-ev-2.3.0-31.el7_2.10.1)