qemu-discuss

Difference between "tap" and "bridge" netdev options

From: xtec
Subject: Difference between "tap" and "bridge" netdev options
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:25:34 -0500

Hello. New here.

I come from being using VirtualBox and QEMU/KVM through libvirt, and decided to start studying how to use pure QEMU/KVM.

So far I have managed to learn the basics, and a bit more I think.
I just reached the feared networking part. I'm aiming for bridged networking, so already created a network bridge in host and specified suitable qemu options.

However I'm still completely unable to understand one thing:
What's the difference between using "-netdev tap,helper=/path/to/qemu-bridge-helper" and "-netdev bridge,helper=/path/to/qemu-bridge-helper" ? Or even furthermore, the differences between using "helper=" and "script=" ?

Thanks beforehand for your attention.