qemu-discuss

Re: Boot order not working with OVMF

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: Boot order not working with OVMF
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:07:26 +0200

On 2022-08-21 08:45, Christopher Snowhill (kode54) wrote:
On Aug 20, 2022, at 7:30 PM, xtec@trimaso.com.mx wrote:

Hello.

I noticed that "-boot order=dc" -for example- seems to be only functional in SeaBIOS, but
totally ignored in OVMF. With this last one I need to use "-boot menu=on", press Esc, and
manually edit boot order.

Is there a reason for this?
Oh, and forgot to mention in previous thread, I'm currently using QEMU 6.2.

Thanks again for your attention.

You should be specifying bootindex (integer) values on the boot devices
themselves. At least that's what Proxmox does when it automates qemu-kvm
command lines.

IMHO it would be really good IN GENERAL if qemu promised to map equivalent
options to each other as long as both syntaxes exist.  So if there's both a
boot order option and a bootindex option, both will be internally mapped to
a single implementation variable or list, which would then be passed to
emulated interfaces such as those read by SeaBIOS, OVMF, OpenFirmware etc.
etc.  The qemu man pages should say which syntax takes priority over the
other if both are input.

This would also apply to historic redesigns such as the change from
device-specific options like "-hda" to generalized options like "-drive"
or "-device".

Enjoy

Jakob