qemu-discuss

Re: how to connect commit to email patch

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: how to connect commit to email patch
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 12:03:25 +0000

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 at 06:12, Jiatong Shen <yshxxsjt715@gmail.com> wrote:
>    I am trying to investigate bug fixes and new features for qemu from 4.2. I
> noticed qemu's commits are reviewed through email, but right now the only way
> that I found to connect commits to a particular email is through googling. So
> my question is, is there a command line tool to either obtain a patchset list
> or build a relationship between commit and git-email?

Generally not. You can look for the relevant patches either
directly in a mailing list archive (the one with the best
search facilities is https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/ I
think), or you can look for them in https://patchew.org/QEMU/
(which provides a web-view of patches sent to the mailing
list).

There are one or two command line tools for working with
mailing list emails, but generally they're aimed at the
use case of developers working with recently sent
patches and turning them into commits, not archaeological work
starting with commits from releases that are several years old
and trying to work back to the mailing list emails.

thanks
-- PMM