qemu-discuss

windows 2019 on qemu 4.2.0 & ubuntu kernel 4.15.0-72 stuck

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: windows 2019 on qemu 4.2.0 & ubuntu kernel 4.15.0-72 stuck
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 19:21:00 +0800

Hello community,

   I would like to ask for some advices on debugging a weird problem. The setup is a qemu version is qemu-4.2.0-rc3 and kernel version is 4.15.0-72-generic and distro is ubuntu 18.04. And the symptom is windows stuck and cannot boot into system.

  After some debugging, I observe that if I specify -cpu Cascadelake-Server,arch-capabilities,tsx-ctrl, then it does not work, but if I remove tsx-ctrl then windows2019 boots successfully.

  Another observation is qemu-4.2.0-rc2 works the the same commandline (namely, -cpu Cascadelake-Server,arch-capabilities,tsx-ctrl).

So my question is what could be the possible reason for such behavior. Thank you very much in advance for you help.

--

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen