qemu-discuss

about 2a9758c51e and tsx-ctrl

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: about 2a9758c51e and tsx-ctrl
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:17:53 +0800

Hello community,

   I am observing an issue where a windows 2019 vm failed to boot if I specifying arch-capabilities with tsx-ctrl on cpu type (eg -enable-kvm -cpu Cascadelake-Server,arch-capabilities,tsx-ctrl). After some debugging I found if I revert commit 2a9758c51e, then windows 2019 is normal.

   I have some issue understanding what the commit is doing. So I send this email and looking forward to receiving advice.  In the commit, I found tsx-ctrl seems to be in two MSRs, one for feat_arch_capabilities and one for msr_ia32_tsx_ctrl, the latter could be enabled if kvm supports it, but the former is only controller by arch-capabilities.

   so my question is what is the relationship between MSR_IA32_TSX_CTRL and MSR_IA32_ARCH_CAPABILITIES? and if has_msr_tsx_ctrl is false, should tsx-ctrl still be set in MSR_IA32_ARCH_CAPABILITIES?

Thank you very much for the help.

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen