qemu-discuss

Re: If someone could assist me to get this going

From: Helge Konetzka
Subject: Re: If someone could assist me to get this going
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:33:09 +0100

Hello,

in my opionion https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM looked most promising, so I went this way.

1st attempt is to replace kvm acceleration with whpx which does not work, because finally it always fails with WHPX: Unexpected VP exit code 4. Please keep in mind, this is a exit code produced by Microsoft Windows Hyper-V Platform Extension!

2nd attempt was to try without any acceleration, which may have led to a running recovery screen after several days, but was stopped to early by myself.

3rd attempt was to create a Hyper-V VM in a first step to install Linux and use https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM as is with kvm acceleration. This worked for me on a Win10Pro 22H2 on a Haswell Pentium with 12GB.

I guess creating a 6GB Hyper-V VM to run a 4GB QEMU VM should be possible as well.

So here's the recipe in short:

Windows:
    Install Hyper-V-Manager
    Create Hyper-V-VM LINUX, Generation 2 (6GB MEM, 50 GB HD)
    Enable Nested Virtualization
        PS> Set-VMProcessor -VMName LINUX -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true
    Start Hyper-V-VM LINUX
Hyper-V-VM LINUX
    Install Linux as proposed in https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
    Install git, qemu
    Make sure vmx-Flag is present (flags-lines appear)
        $ cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep vmx
        flags: ..... vmx .....
        vmx flags: ......
    Follow step as documented in https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
QEMU-VM OSX
    Install OSX

BTW: 4th attempt would be to try haxm acceleration, which is on my TODO list.

Have fun,
Helge