qemu-ppc

Re: OpenBIOS build rules in QEMU's roms/Makefile

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: OpenBIOS build rules in QEMU's roms/Makefile
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 08:25:07 +0000

On 05/11/2022 13:47, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

Hello,

I've noticed that the qemu/roms/Makefile that contains rules to build the firmwares that are included as a submodule and provided as binaries in the pc-bios dir is missing rules to build the OpenBIOS images in QEMU. Could you please submit a patch to add these rules to document how these binaries are correctly built and they are reproducible?

I previously did some experiments with the QEMU docker-based cross-compiler infrastructure and found that the Debian compilers did not produce working OpenBIOS binaries for all architectures, so I haven't really pursued this further.

However I was able to produce working binaries using the kernel.org crosstools compilers which are installed into an openbios-builder docker image which is how the binaries are currently built.

The easiest way to build your own binaries is to fork the OpenBIOS repository on github and push your changes to the fork. The integrated actions will compile release and debug binaries for all archs (amd64, ppc, sparc32, sparc64 and x86) and make the result available in a downloadable zip file.

Alternatively you can manually "docker run" the openbios-builder image at https://ghcr.io/openbios/openbios-builder which contains all the cross-compilers required to generate the binaries locally.

There has been some discussion about adding support for container-based builds into the QEMU build system to allow this to be integrated directly, but that isn't there yet.

ATB,

Mark.