qemu-ppc

Re: Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970

From: Dan Whitehouse
Subject: Re: Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 11:17:19 +0000

Zoltan,
I have a “toy” macos9 install which works well (if extremely slowly).
I also have Debian powerpc (32-bit) installed and that works reasonably well
but slowly too.
Finally after a lot of struggle over the weekend I have an install of Debian
ppc64 (64-bit) which “works”.
It’s so slow it seems to always drop me to the emergency shell because of the
filesystems timing out, but there may be a way to increase that in the kernel
command line. It also doesn’t seem to want to shutdown or reboot properly - but
maybe passing -M mac99,via=pdu may help that. I’m testing at the time of
writing. So slow progress but I almost have something I can begin testing with.

Thanks,

Dan