qemu-ppc

PPC440 tlbwe

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: PPC440 tlbwe
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:41:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have a question about tlbwe emulation in TCG for PPC440. This seems to be implemented in mmu_helper.c::helper_440_tlbwe which calls tlb_flush a lot flushing all TLB entries. This causes a big performance hit with sam460ex running AmigaOS which seems to do tlbwe on every task or context switch so it runs much slower than on other machines with a G4 CPU (pegasos2 and amigaone we also emulate) that use hardware TLB which does not have such problem in TCG. Even the embedded TLB emulation has 3 versions for 40x, 440 and BookE 2.06 (I think that's e500) and at least the booke206 version uses flush_page instead of flushing everything. I don't know much about this so is there somebody with better understanding of this who can have a look at it and see if it can be optimised to resolve this problem or give some advice?

Thanks,
BALATON Zoltan