qemu-ppc

Re: Request for New PPC Machine Supporting Multiple SMP Cores

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Request for New PPC Machine Supporting Multiple SMP Cores
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:13:03 +0100

On 07/12/2023 13.53, aziz tlili wrote:
Dear QEMU Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I've been a user of QEMU for well overĀ a year.

I wanted to share an idea for a potential enhancement that I believe could benefit many users, including myself. It would be fantastic to have a new PPC machine model similar to the existing mac99, but with support for multiple SMP cores.

 Hi!

Does it have to be a mac compatible machine? You can use the "pseries" or the "powernv" machines already if you need SMP in a PPC guest...

 Thomas

The ability to simulate multiple SMP cores within a PPC machine environment would significantly enhance the capabilities of QEMU for various applications, testing scenarios, and development purposes. This addition could greatly benefit the community working on PowerPC architecture.

I understand the complexities involved in such developments but wanted to express the potential advantages and how this enhancement could contribute to expanding QEMU's capabilities.

Thank you for considering my suggestion. I would be more than happy to provide further details or collaborate in any way that could assist in making this idea a reality.

Best regards,
Aziz Tlili