qemu-ppc

Re: [PULL 29/71] hw/arm/virt: Check CPU type in machine_run_board_init()

From: Gavin Shan
Subject: Re: [PULL 29/71] hw/arm/virt: Check CPU type in machine_run_board_init()
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:02:29 +1000

Hi Peter,

On 1/10/24 00:33, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 at 15:46, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@linaro.org> wrote:

From: Gavin Shan <gshan@redhat.com>

Set mc->valid_cpu_types so that the user specified CPU type can be
validated in machine_run_board_init(). We needn't to do the check
by ourselves.

Hi; after this change if you try to use the 'virt' board from
qemu-system-arm with an invalid CPU type you get an odd
error message full of "(null)"s:

$ ./build/x86/qemu-system-arm -machine virt -cpu cortex-a9
qemu-system-arm: Invalid CPU model: cortex-a9
The valid models are: cortex-a7, cortex-a15, (null), (null), (null),
(null), (null), (null), (null), (null), (null), (null), (null), max

This seems to be because we print a "(null)" for every 64-bit
only CPU in the list, instead of either ignoring them or not
compiling them into the list in the first place.

https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/2084

Yes, it's because all 64-bits CPUs aren't available to 'qemu-system-arm'.
I've sent a fix for it. Please take a look when getting a chance.

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-arm/2024-01/msg00531.html

Thanks,
Gavin