qemu-s390x

Re: graphical interface

From: Harold Grovesteen
Subject: Re: graphical interface
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 07:25:22 -0600

I tried putting -display gtk in the command line.  That does not work.
No window, period.  I have been doing a lot of googling and I suspect
that the Ubuntu package is _not_ configured with -enable-gtk.  I think
the Ubuntu Qemu package is configured for use on a s390x host (hence no
gtk), rather than an Intel host.

I have downloaded the source for 7.2.0 (as you suggested using) and
plan to build it on my system with my own configuration.

I am used to autotools builds.  My research indicates the Qemu uses
meson(?) for its build support.  Usually the first thing I do is a
configure --help.  Does the Qemu build tools have a facility like
"help" option?  I would like to see just what _can_ be configured even
if I do not plan at the moment to use other options.

See below...

Thanks for your help,
Harold

On Sat, 2022-12-10 at 13:56 +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 09/12/2022 21.08, Harold Grovesteen wrote:
> > I see qemu is capable of a graphical interface: -display gtk.  I am
> > running Qemu on an Intel based Linux distro.
> >
> > It does not seem to do anything different (certainly no graphical
> > display) if I specify -display gtk.
>
> With -display gtk, you should get a window with a menu. Click on
> "View" then
> you can select "serial0" for the guest's console output and
> "compatmonitor0"
> for the HMP monitor interface.

Good to know when I get the graphical interface to work.

> If you want to have a real GUI in the guest, you have to configure a
> graphics card and input devices, i.e. "-device virtio-gpu-ccw -device
> virtio-mouse-ccw -device virtio-keyboard-ccw" ... and your guest OS
> has to
> support those, too. But please note that this is not very common on
> s390x,
> you normally rather interact with the guest via the text console or
> ssh.

Understand about the implications when running on a s390x host.  It is
why I started with -nographic.  But because I am using a Linux host, a
graphical interface should be possible.