qemu-stable

Re: [Stable-8.1.2 00/45] Patch Round-up for stable 8.1.2, freeze on 2023

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Stable-8.1.2 00/45] Patch Round-up for stable 8.1.2, freeze on 2023-10-14
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:44:53 +0300

04.10.2023 11:19, Olaf Hering wrote:

How about this change for 8.1.x? This will allow usage in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

c01196bddd subprojects/berkeley-testfloat-3: Update to fix a problem with
compiler warnings

Hm.  I don't think this one is a good candidate (not that it can't be included).

This just fixes compiler warning (the original code is good, and I'd even
question
the patch "fixing" the warnings in berkeley-testfloat-3, - at the very least,
this
"default:" case warrants a comment, since all possible values of the switch are
already explicitly specified.  This is a clear compiler defect, the changes does
not affect the result in any way.

Second, this is not even the production code, it is testing code.

And the most important, third: even with the warning being emitted, 8.1 is still
usable on openSUSE Tumbleweed: all qemu released tarballs are built WITHOUT
-Werror option, so when building a release there, these warnings wont fail the
build.  Currently, this is controlled by presence of .git in the top-level
source dir, -Werror is only enabled if .git is present.

I'm including this change, if not only because we both spent quite some time
already on this ;)  Overall though, it is not needed.

Thanks,

/mjt