quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Managing series of series?

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Managing series of series?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 23:27:34 +0200

Big fan of quilt here.

The primary use cases for me are applying changes to different environments or
running against different environments (local/stage/prod).

That means I keep several independent series of patch series, like:

  patches/series-flyway-local-oracle
  patches/series-flyway-local-postgre
  patches/series-flyway-stage
  patches/series-flyway-prod

I don't set QUILT_SERIES as it only alters single environment (Bash). I what
settings immediately available globally.

So I wrote command "switch" that updates:

  $QUILT_PC/.quilt_series

And enhanced bash_completion to complete series name:

  quilt switch series-flyway-  TAB

It is extremely convenient workflow, especially that Git doesn't have anything
like Mercurial queues and it is the winner of the DVCS race.

I added some guards, like you cannot "quilt switch" if some patches are
applied.

I'd like to have such feature in the core distribution because at least
bash_completion script is overridden during package update and distributing my
alteration to all my PCs is a bit a headache.

What is your ideas about inclusion, naming the command (it can be
"switch-series") and completion conventions (like absolute/relative path or
anything prefixes "series" in the current QUILT_PATCHES)?

In case if .pc is not initialized I think command should terminate with
warning, recommending "quilt init".

It is for interactive use so should be intuitive and simple to use. Unlike
dealing with QUILT_SERIES (which is fine for scripting but do you have bash
completion for undefined variables?).

--
http://defun.work/