quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] How is one supposed to use guards(1) alongside quilt(1)?

From: Xavier Morel
Subject: [Quilt-dev] How is one supposed to use guards(1) alongside quilt(1)?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 12:54:58 +0100

The guards(1) utility is packaged as part of the quilt distribution, but it's a bit unclear how it's supposed to be used, possibly more so because I have experience with Mercurial's `mq` where guards are supported natively. I have looked at the man pages, but didn't find explanations of using the two together, and while the README

Does quilt(1) have some sort of integration so guards(1) is automatically applied before quilt(1) looks at the series file, or does guards(1) have to be explicitely applied to a series-file-with-guards in order to generate series files, with new patches then having to be copied manually to the "reference" file with guards? Or some other way I did not think of?