qvm86-devel

Re: [qvm86-devel] Tech. Description

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [qvm86-devel] Tech. Description
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:31:25 +0100

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 16:29, address@hidden wrote:
> Congratulation! Fine thing, thanks.
>
> Is it possible to get some technical insight of what this accelerator
> module does? Yes, I know, I can look it up in the source. But if somebody
> already knows, it would be much faster to get such a brief description.

qvm86 uses virtualization techniques for running ring3 (apllication/user-mode
unprivileged) guest code. This basically means using the CPU MMU and
protection mechanisms to run the the guest code unmodified.

Because the x86 CPU wasn't designed to be virtualized this isn't possible[1]
for privileged kernel code, so we use the normal qemu dynamic translation
emulate that code.

Paul

[1] Some projects do virtualize kernel code, but this requires either
modifying the guest code before it is executed (VMware), or using specially
modified guest kernels (Xen).