ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] some question from a new user

From: Wojciech Siewierski
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] some question from a new user
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 23:21:00 +0100

On 01.02.2017 22:32, Jeroen Budts wrote
> * Are there some example usages of tags? So far the only use I found for
> them are when I clean out my Downloads-directory: I go over the list of
> files and tag them to categorize them with tags. Then I use `:mark_tag
> a` to select all a-tagged files to move them to the correct directory,
> and then I do the same for each other tag.
> An additional question here: Given the similarities to Vim, I expected
> to be able to do something like `"ayy` to move all the files tagged with
> 'a', instead of a two step operation: `:mark_tag a` + `yy`?
Personally I use them mainly to visually mark some frequently used
directories (with a few different categories of them). I think I got
that idea after seeing this screenshot:
http://ranger.nongnu.org/screenshots/w3mimgpreview.png
> * After adding files to the copy buffer, is it possible to get an
> overview of what is in the copy buffer? I know one could do `:echo %c`,
> but that is not very readable. I'm more looking for an overview similar
> to the task window.
I don't think it's directly supported but you can bind a key to this
command which should be a bit more readable:
:shell -p printf "%%s\n" %c
> * In Thunar I often drill down in directories by typing a few
> characters; pressing enter; typing a few characters; pressing enter and
> so on.
> To replicate this method I now use the following command:
> `scout -sektfl`
> One issue I have with this is that I can't use the arrow keys to select
> the next match. The only solution I know is to type additional
> characters until I have a unique match. But in at least one situation
> this didn't work, because I had already typed the entire name of the
> directory I wanted to match, but there was another match which came up
> first.
You can cycle the matches with Tab.

Cheers,
--