Re: [RP] No german keyborad possible ?

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] No german keyborad possible ?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:56:25 -0800

>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:48:06 +0100
>From: "Chr. v. Stuckrad" <address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>
>On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 02:17:08AM -0800, shawn wrote:
>>
>> This has always been a problem. I just re-arranged that code a
>> bit. Now you must press a key sequence that is defined. I added C-g
>> which does nothing and 'aborts' the key sequence. Its not exactly a
>> fix, but it will hopefully remedy the mystery of the 'missing
>> modifiers'...
>> Thanks for the input (pardon the pun)!
>:-))
>
>I also fiddled with the code, extracted 'read_key' to be used
>in all except one places, made uppercase and conrol chars possible
>by handling the modifier-key-releases INSIDE of read_key and by
>swiching the map according to the Shift or Control Modifier
>and reached a point, where I could add Actions to keys under
>the Mod3-Modifier. Also I added a 'swich_to' routine to swich
>to another window-manager (twm in my case), and a simple 'bye'.

Excellent!

>BUT it seems that the 'AltGr'(XK_Mode_switch)-Key itself
>is a Prefix too! So if 'type' it, I get some strange Keysym
>and if I hold it down I get 1<<12 for the Modifier.
>I could not find out, which kind of 'keymap' corresponds
>to this high a Modifier-Bit.  Problem is, that you
>cannot enter \~| without it and seemingly my changes
>'eat' some keystrokes the normal xterms may need to notice
>those <AltGr><key>-Sequences...

Not excellent! The keyboard under X has always been a little hazy for
me...I'm going to have to read the docs for real at some point. I'm
afraid all I can give is a cheer of support...if at some point the mud
clears, let me know!

>Something else ist strange: If I enter Text into e.g.
>the Command bar, I could not force X11 to update the screen
>at the time I enter the first char; only if I hit BackSpace
>the prompt gets written, so I missed something in my
>changed 'get_input' (I'm fiddling with X11 first time ever though).

I'm not having that problem on my side. Perhaps it has to do with the
code you added?

>My idea was to use ratpoison as a minimalist windowmanager
>for slideshow-loops like 'xv -... -random -loop -wait 3 ...lots of pics...'
>and if necessary to 'work' on that screen to swich to some other
>manager.

Well you won't need to click the maximize button for each window,
that's for sure!

>Are you intrested in the changes (full tar or diff?)

You bet! How about a diff?

>Stucki
>
>PS.: My direct reply bounced, so I write it to the list... Sorry

ya, good old mail configuration problems...my reply address should be
correct now...