Re: [RP] Can't get ratpoison to use rxvt

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] Can't get ratpoison to use rxvt
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 07:07:55 -0800

>From: Arthur <address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>       <mailto:address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:15:05 -0500
>
>I've been using ratpoison for about 2 days now and really like the concept.
>However, there is one thing I can't seem to figure out. In the README it
>says:
>
>"By default, ratpoison is compiled using xterm. This is because more
>users use xterm as opposed to alternative terms such as rxvt.
>
>If you do want to use a different terminal program, edit conf.h and
>edit the line:
>
>#define TERM_PROG       "xterm" /* command to boot an x term */
>
>to run you're favorite X term."
>
>I didn't see that line in conf.h, so I added it and replaced "xterm" with
>"rxvt"
>However, when I install and start ratpoison it still uses an xterm. I even
>tried putting in the full path to rxvt but it still didn't work. Not being a
>programmer, i have no idea what i might be doing wrong, so if anyone could
>advise I would appreciate it.

Oh ya...that sorta got changed a while back and I forgot to update the
README :)

To change the x term you have to edit actions.c there is a line that looks like
this:

                            {XK_c, -1, "xterm", spawn},

change "xterm" to your prefered term. I grabbed that line out of CVS
so if you have ratpoison 0.0.5 it'll probably look like:

                            {'c', -1, "xterm", spawn},

I've just added to the configure script in CVS an option to set your xterm:

 --with-xterm=PROG        set the x terminal emulator used by ratpoison

>Also, now that I think about it - The screenshot provided (screenshots do
>sometimes serve a purpose) shows 3 terms open, 2 on top and 1 taking up the
>bottom half of the screen. When I start ratpoison, it takes up the entire
>screen so I was wondering how to get it to use only a certain portion.

Looks can be deceiving. What you are actually seeing is emacs open
full screen displaying 3 seperate buffers.

>Thanks

Always a pleasure!