Re: [RP] reversal on xterm

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] reversal on xterm
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:02:53 -0700

>From: Jonathan Walther <address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>       <mailto:address@hidden>
>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:04:22 -0700 (PDT)

>Holy smokes.  I just tried to run xterm; no more segfault!  Shawn, Ryan... I
>don't know what you changed, but thank you.  Please ignore my xterm->rxvt
>patch.  Can you fill us in on what was causing the problem?

Well it was a very difficult bug to track down. We first ignored your
reports, but then I became very interested after my kernel hung. I
decided I'd look into it real soon. I downloaded the xterm source and
rather than investigate your problem I focused my efforts on fixing
the maximize race condition. This, of course, was fruitless and I went
back to hacking split screen. Then, one day early in the morning I
fell asleep on my keyboard. When I awoke, there were thousands of new
lines of code. Unfortunately, ratpoison didn't compile with all this
new code (I isolated it to a problem with the gcc parser), so I
reverted to the CVS copy. Weeks later, after spending many hours on
unrelated problems, I finally fixed it. It was finally done and I was
the one who did it. Infact, I was so thrilled with my own sheer
brilliance that I cried aloud waking the neighbors, a cat, and the
snake outside named 'woody' by so many thoughtful and kind souls. And
all the while, tears streamed from my swollen eyes. I was torn in
every direction by my unfathomably delightful success, all thanks to
me! Gay were the days that followed, and I was in unsurpassed high
spirits as I strolled carrying my unquestionably blilliant brain
inside my beautify crafted head as I whistled briskly enjoying my
unbriddled excellence. And so, came this day. Many CVS commits later,
the day was done and the people sung of these days. These days now
passed. And yet, somehow they are not gone. Not all gone. Some remain.