[RP] address@hidden: ratpoison user feedback]

From: shawn
Subject: [RP] address@hidden: ratpoison user feedback]
Date: Thu Sep 13 14:45:05 2001

Another rat bites the dust :).

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:48:35 +0200
From: Florian Cramer <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: ratpoison user feedback
Sender: Florian Cramer <address@hidden>

Dear Shawn Betts,

thank you very much for ratpoison! Being a GNU screen afficionado, it
was exactly what I have been looking for. (It's a particularly good
window manager for laptops.)

If you don't mind, I have two feature suggestions:

- - Like ratpoison, the more recent versions of GNU screen allow to split
  the screen (although just vertically). I would be nice if ratpoison
  could adhere to screen by providing a "resize" command which allows to
  change the proportions/relative sizes of split screens.

- - I have trouble getting ratpoison to work with multi-window
  applications like the Gimp. If I do serious work in the Gimp, my only
  choice is to use another window manager. While one might argue that
  multi-window applications are structurally incompatible to ratpoison,
  I also use another windowmanager, larswm, which is conceptually
  similar to ratpoison in providing non-decorated, automatically sized
  windows, but provides a workaround of a so-called "untiled
  subdesktop", i.e. a second window layer where windows are managed
  /resized manually (through keyboard shortcuts). If ratpoison had a
  similar feature, it would be a true all-purpose window manager.

Please consider these suggestions and not requests!

Bests,

Florian

- --
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html
GnuPG/PGP public key ID 3200C7BA
"c u in he][l][avan" (mez, _Viro.Logic Condition][ing][ 1.1_)