Re: [RP] Generic argument parsing & stuff

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] Generic argument parsing & stuff
Date: Fri Sep 14 13:39:02 2001

Hello there!

> This all sounds really nice.
>
> How will parse_cmdline behave when 'extra' arguments are specified ?

At the moment, you tell it how many arguments you want to accept, it
splits up the command into max_args - 1 pieces, and copies the rest to
the last element of a string vector (think argv).

So, extra arguments are part of the last argument.

This is mostly for the sake of colon and exec.

> Can it distinguish between commands like bind in which the last arg
> should be 'gobbled up' and commands such as msgwait which should only
> accept a specific number of args ?

No it can't. But there is an easy workaround: if foo takes 4
arguments, then specify 5 as max_args, so the extra cruft will end up
in argv[5], which won't be used, thus ignored.

At the moment, I don't see any problem with it. Feel free to point out
some obvious mistake I made in my design.

(btw, I can post my current patch to you privately. I'd rather not
make it public in its current state :)

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]