[RP] Alias functionality

From: Doug Kearns
Subject: [RP] Alias functionality
Date: Tue Oct 23 11:06:07 2001

I was thinking that it might be nice if rp had an alias mechanism for
commands.

Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory for the key bindings I rarely
use, however, I can almost always remember the command name so I tend to
use C-t : for these.

As I find commands from screen that are missing I often implement them
as scripts. I also run scripts as substitutes for some rp commands
eg. 'time'

Now, the frequently used command scripts can be bound to a key, but when
calling the scripts explicitly with C-t : I usually forget to add the
@address@hidden exec before the script name. In this case I have to make the
unnecessary distinction between internally and externally implemented
commands.

I work in screen all day so the beauty of rp, for me, is that the only
difference when executing a command is the prefix key.

If there were aliases a number of the missing commands could be
implemented as scripts transparently, as could some of the existing
commands.

eg. alias lockscreen exec lockscreen.sh

Anyway, it's 4:00am and I suspect I'm rambling incoherently ;-)

Regards,
Doug